If you are a wine lover, then you will find very interesting to know that consuming a small glass of red wine on regular basis is actually good for you. The key here is to be moderate about it, no need to have a hang over every day in the morning, right? Red wine has many antioxidants which lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases, and type 2 diabetes.
But keep in mind that not all red wines are created equal. Tannins is what helps boost health benefits in wine, so you will be better off drinking wine that has high condensed tannins. Tannat, Petit Syrah and Sagrantino are some of the highest in tannins concentrations, although Cabernet Sauvignon is also better than most when it comes to tannins quantities.
Follow these rules to make sure you are getting as much tannins as possible in your system:
1. Dry is better than sweet
2. Low alcohol levels are definitely better than high alcohol levels
3. The more astringent the better
4. Young red wines are better than old ones (speaking only about health benefits) this is due to tannins concentrations being lost as time goes by
Another rule, that doesn’t relate to tannins, but does relate to health benefits, is that you should always choose red over white; the reason is that red wine contain less sulphites (chemicals) than white wine because red is more stable.
Now, if the reason you consume wine is more related to taste, than health benefits; that’s a whole different story.
I would have to say that, even though there is definitely a list about which wine had the best taste according to wine testers, the thing about wine is that you have to like it to be able to enjoy it, so why don´t we talk about the different types of wine for you to know which flavor each of them has, and that´s how you will be able to find the best red wine for you.
- Flavors: coffee, earth, black olive, blueberries and violets
- Best foods to drink with: cured and smoked meat
- Flavors: black cherry, green olive, bell pepper, cassis, herbs
- Best foods to drink with:juice red meat
- Flavors: cherry, strawberry, raspberry
- Best foods to drink with: rich fish
- Flavors: spice, cherry
- Best foods to drink with: roasted vegetables, and white meat
- Flavors: spice, sour cherry
- Best foods to drink with: sweet and spicy BBQ sauces
- Flavors: plum, watermelon, cherry, strawberry
- Best foods to drink with: hard cheese
- Flavors: cherry, spice
- Best foods to drink with: red meat
- Flavors: tar, piecherry, plum
- Best foods to drink with: roasted goose
- Flavors: tomato leaf, beet root, pale cherry, cola, plum, blackberry
- Best foods to drink with: earthy flavors (made with mushrooms and truffles)
- Flavors: tobacco leaf, anise, pie cherry
- Best foods to drink with: red meat and smoked meat
- Flavors: clove, plum, pepper, blackberry, boysenberry
- Best foods to drink with: very spicy dishes
- Flavors: prune, raisin, blackberry, raspberry, black cherry
- Best foods to drink with: pates, mousses, and terrines